I mean what is more festive to bake during the final week in the run up to Christmas than GINGERBREAD! This week I was over at one of best friends from university, Lauren and we decided it would be super fun to decorate some gingerbread cookies! Now Lauren is like me in that we both LOVE Christmas so the idea of baking and blasting Christmas/Musical songs was the perfect way to spend the afternoon! We had been looking for a quick & easy recipe for gingerbread dough and came across this recipe that was so easy to make on its own as well as being able to increase or decrease the ingredients depending on preference. This is the recipe that Lauren and I went for!
Gingerbread Biscuit Dough
- 350g plain flour
- 175g light brown sugar
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp syrup
- 3 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
1. Firstly pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and lay some greaseproof paper on a baking tray
2. Chuck the plain flour, cinnamon, ground ginger and baking powder into a bowl. At this point you can add more or less ginger depending on your preference. Add in the butter and mix it all together until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Add in the sugar, whisked egg and syrup and mix it into the breadcrumb mixture until it forms a dough. You can use your hands at this point to make the dough to really ensure that all the mixture is a part of the dough.
4. Place the dough in clingfilm and place in the refrigerator for 15 - 20 minutes.
5. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out the dough onto some flour.
6. Cut in your shapes, whether it be a gingerbread man or if you are attempting a gingerbread house!
7. Place on greaseproof paper on a baking tray and bake for 12 - 15 minutes until golden brown.
8. Remove from oven and leave on baking tray for 10 minutes before removing to cooling tray.
Note: These cookies do expand. And with our remaining dough, we decided to attempt a big gingerbread man!
9. Once cooled, decorate to your fancy!
I had the best Christmassy afternoon with Lauren, and thank her and her family for letting us make a mess of the kitchen! It was so nice to catch up and sing out hearts out over baking!!! SO SO FESTIVE!
Last night Faye & I went for a pre-Christmas meal with our grandparents, Granny Sue and Grandad Mike. It was so nice just to catch up with them and chat about everything that has been happening since we last saw them back in June! It really is crazy how time flies and how much we have all changed! Lovely to see them!
Christmas Song of the Day: I WISH IT COULD BE CHRISTMAS EVERYDAY - WIZZARD